I’ve had a number of reports recently regarding loss of line breaks when sending out Post or Page notifications. Nothing has changed in Email Users with respect to formatting the post prior to sending it via email. However, the fact that several people has run into this problem concerns me.
The only thing I can think of which would result in loss of line breaks is if the the_content() or the_excerpt() functions are not calling the wpauto filter (which both do by default unless turned off). As noted in the Codex page, some plugins and themes remove the action.
I’ve added a check within the Email Users Dashboard widget to report the state of the hooks which could reformat the text. The the_content hook is the most likely to change the formatting of the post content but the other two listed could also affect it in some cases.
Yesterday I finally released Swim Team v1.42. With almost 50 downloads of the beta and no problems reported, I figured it was as tested as it was going to get! Some of the fixes and enhancements include:
Added checking and error messages for creation of temporary files used during export (CSV, HY3, SD3, RE1).
Added support for Event Number suffixes.
Added support for Transients as temporary storage when exporting data or generating reports.
Major change to how files are included to better support newer versions of PHP. The PHP include_path is no longer modified nor assumed.
Fixed bug in MyJobs which appears when no active season is designated.
Functionally this release is identical to v1.42-beta-8. You can find the update in the WordPress plugin repository or as an update on your Dashboard.
This morning I released beta-2 and very quickly afterward, because I found a bugs, beta-3, then beta-4 of Email Users v4.6.10. This beta-4 build addresses a couple enhancements that were recently raised in the Support Forum.
Templates – while not exactly templates per se, the Post/Page notification email will now allow the user to change the email subject and body content. It will still be initially populated based on the default template.
Hooks – there are now two hooks which other plugins and themes can use to modify the behavior of wp_mail(). The two hooks are mailusers_before_wp_mail and mailusers_after_wp_mail. The primary use for this is to account for other plugins which modify the sender address.
Additionally, the Notification email process now has a preview of what the email will look like based on the current settings. The preview will not reflect any changes made to the subject or email content until it is submitted.
I have uploaded beta-2 of Google Forms v0.70. This build has one minor fix. While minor, it is important to me. This build fixes an issue when the Email Admin option is enabled but the Send To address is not specified. By default the Blog Admin email address should be used in this situation however no mail was being sent at all.
While looking into a Support request I discovered a bug in the generation of the jQuery validation script which caused a syntax error. This syntax error could potentially cause problems with redirection upon form submission.
While fixing the above bug I also added support for embedded images which had been requested recently. When you design your form Google now allows the insertion of images and now Google Forms will display them properly.
You can find this update on your Dashboard or in the WordPress plugin repository.
Another minor update to Google Forms to fix a bug reported late last week. It turns out I left out a named array parameter in a call to wp_update_post(). What is interesting is this problem manifests itself differently on various installations. I never saw the error reported however when the offending line was pointed out, it was obvious to me what was wrong.
This morning I released a very minor update to Google Forms. In the process of verifying that I fixed the form submission log I found a typo in one of the internationalization strings and some debug code which was still enabled. Neither issue would cause the plugin to fail but I went ahead and fixed both and released an update.
This evening I released v0.66 of Google Forms. This version fixes two major issues:
The conflict with WordPress SEO has been resolved. The implemented solution will likely be replaced with something which runs less frequently. However, the solution implemented in v0.66 should make sites running both Google Forms and WordPress SEO a little happier.
Due to a bug, all form submissions have been logged regardless of the plugin setting.
You can find the update on the WordPress plugin repository or on your Dashboard.