This evening I posted beta-1 of Email Users v4.7.0. This build addresses, or at least recognizes, an issue recently reported in the WordPress Support forum where email was not being sent when a large number of users were being selected.
The crux of this problem is the PHP max_input_vars configuration setting which by default, is set to 1000.
Every user selected on the form plus the other form fields are submitted as “input vars”. If ~990 or more users were selected, the input vars would be exhausted and the form submit would be missing required fields. The result was no email sent and the form being redisplayed for the user.
While I can’t change the setting of PHP’s max_input_vars setting, I can detect when the scenario, I can detect when it might be a problem and warn the user.
The warning shown above will now be displayed whenever the number of users which could be selected approaches or exceeds the current setting of max_input_vars.
Hopefully this will alleviate the confusion around this issue. Please report back on any bugs or odd behavior.
Yesterday afternoon I released v4.6.11 of Email Users. In addition to the additions to Dashboard to report the status of various filters, this release contains a fix to address a problem with using the Post Excerpt as the email content instead of the post itself and more importantly, a duplicate mail header problem.
This morning I posted beta-2 of Email Users 4.6.11. This build addresses a bug with the Post Excerpt recently reported in the WordPress Support Forum. I suspect this bug has been around for a long time. Email Users was making a call to get_the_excerpt() which it turns out, should only be called within The Loop. I have fixed this bug and and the plugin is now looking for the excerpt properly and more importantly, my test posts are behaving properly.
Please report any other issues and I will do my best to address this ASAP. Since this is a pretty serious bug, I will likely release an update within a day or two if I don’t have any further bug reports.
I’ve had a number of reports recently regarding loss of line breaks when sending out Post or Page notifications. Nothing has changed in Email Users with respect to formatting the post prior to sending it via email. However, the fact that several people has run into this problem concerns me.
The only thing I can think of which would result in loss of line breaks is if the the_content() or the_excerpt() functions are not calling the wpauto filter (which both do by default unless turned off). As noted in the Codex page, some plugins and themes remove the action.
I’ve added a check within the Email Users Dashboard widget to report the state of the hooks which could reformat the text. The the_content hook is the most likely to change the formatting of the post content but the other two listed could also affect it in some cases.
This morning I released beta-2 and very quickly afterward, because I found a bugs, beta-3, then beta-4 of Email Users v4.6.10. This beta-4 build addresses a couple enhancements that were recently raised in the Support Forum.
Templates – while not exactly templates per se, the Post/Page notification email will now allow the user to change the email subject and body content. It will still be initially populated based on the default template.
Hooks – there are now two hooks which other plugins and themes can use to modify the behavior of wp_mail(). The two hooks are mailusers_before_wp_mail and mailusers_after_wp_mail. The primary use for this is to account for other plugins which modify the sender address.
Additionally, the Notification email process now has a preview of what the email will look like based on the current settings. The preview will not reflect any changes made to the subject or email content until it is submitted.
This afternoon I released beta-1 of Email Users v4.6.10. This build fixes a problem reported in the Support Forum today. I will likely try and address some of the recent enhancement requests before making a formal release. It is likely that most users would not have seen this problem unless their PHP error reporting level was more strict than typical settings.
This morning I pushed out Email Users 4.6.9. It contains a few fixes that I had been sitting on along with an updated German translation.
I had been delaying as I planned to incorporate a couple good suggestions which are on the support forum (e.g. hooks before an after sending mail) but I simply haven’t had the time to work on new features lately. There is also good suggestion on limiting debug output to Admin users which I also plan to add.
I didn’t want to sit on the fixes I have made any longer so went ahead and released 4.6.9. You can find the update on your Dashboard or in the WordPress plugin repository. The only difference between the released version and the last beta is the German translation file and the version number.
I have just posted beta-1 of Email Users v4.6.9. This build addresses an issue reported with template replacements not working correctly when using sender overrides. Additionally, I have added support for blog and author template replacements in user and group emails.