The WordPress Google Forms settings page makes use of tabs to show information about the plugin and set its options. It appears that the theme I was using, which I am in the process developing, is the culprit. It loads some new jQuery functionality from Google’s API that apparently allowed the tabs to work as I expected. I am not sure yet why the builtin WordPress jQuery functionality isn’t working correctly as I expect it should.
Now that I know where the problem is, I think it should be pretty straight forward to fix it.
I’ve spent some time over the last couple of days cleaning up the WordPress Google Form plugin I’ve been working on and getting it added to the WordPress plugin repository. I am happy report that I think I have a stable version (v0.4) finally available that people can play with.
I’ve added a Sample Form and the corresponding Sample Results collected from form submissions if you are interested in seeing what the plugin looks like in action.
This plugin resulted from a need to collect data in a simple manner that could be managed in a spreadsheet. Google Docs provides an easy to use spreadsheet that be used to store the data. Google Forms provides a mechanism to design a form that can add data to the spreadsheet. The WordPress Google Form plugin allows the form to be added to a WordPress site and maintain the look and feel of the active theme.
Note: It looks like I didn’t flush out all of the bugs – the tabs on the Settings page are not working correctly!
For the past couple of days I have been working on a new WordPress plugin I am calling WordPress Google Form. This morning I received the approval for adding it to the WordPress plugin repository so I will be doing that over the next couple of days. I spent much of the last two days on an airplane so the plugin is currently in a state where I have it modified to work offline but I’ve done enough online testing that I am pretty confident I have something working.
My interest in Google Forms stems from the work I am doing on a site for our Middle School. We have a need to collect information in the form of Booster Club memberships and while there are a number of Membership type plugins, none of them really do what I want. Ultimately what we need is a spreadsheet of names, addresses, and phone numbers and Google Docs will work well for that. Putting a Google Form on the front end will allow us to capture the data online.
I thought integrating the Google Form with our WordPress site would be pretty simple, Google offers the ability to embed a form using an IFRAME. Unfortunately the ability to style the form is pretty limited and the Confirmation page even less so.
I have been using the Google Inline Spreadsheet Viewer plugin to display the data from our Google spreadsheets, I was somewhat surprised to find that there doesn’t seem to be anything similar for Google Forms. So I decided to write one. Borrowing some ideas from the Google Inline Spreadsheet Viewer plugin, I have created a plugin that defines the shortcode gform. The gform shortcode takes a Google Forms URL and extracts the FORM body content, cleans it up, and outputs it for WordPress posts, pages, and widgets.
There are a number of attributes that can optionally control the output, the most significant is the confirmation page which can redirect to a page within the WordPress site instead of the default Google conformation page.
More details to follow soon and I hope to have an example up and running later today.
I just received the approval from the WordPress plugin repository for Enhanced-Calendar. The WordPress plugin I previously called Calendar-Plus will now be known as Enhanced-Calendar. Once I get the code all checked in and the proper structure, it should be available from the plugin repository. Hopefully that will happen in a day or two.