Things are finally settling down and I am able to spend some time on my WordPress plugins. I updated Email-Users this week and am now focusing on WordPress Google Form.
Shortly before I went out on vacation I learned from one of the people who has been testing beta releases that the CAPTCHA functionality was no longer working. I took a quick look at it and sure enough, somewhere between Beta 5 and Beta 10 I broke something and the CAPTCHA was not working but oddly enough, it was only broken on some browsers (e.g. Chrome) but worked on others (e.g. Firefox). These sort of bugs are a pain to chase down and with work being very busy and my family and I getting ready to go on a week long trip to Ireland, I decided to wait until I came back to figure out what was wrong.
It turns out I had introduced a very subtle syntax error in the jQuery script which defines which form fields are validated. I am still surprised it works in Firefox but not in Chrome. Regardless, it is fixed in Beta 11.
This bug affected me quite a bit as I have the beta version running on my site for Help and Support Requests and I had a slew of spam responses while I was out on vacation. Hopefully in my clean up I didn’t delete any real requests!
There are a lot of new features in v0.46, please refer to this post from about a month ago which shows how to request an email address from a user as part of the submission. This post explains how the new Google Form Custom Post Type (CPT) works.
This morning I released an update to Email-Users (4.4.4). This update fixes problems with the meta filter functionality preventing sending email to specific users and an odd situation which could result in duplicate email to some users. You can find the update in the WordPress plugin repository or via an update on your WordPress Dashboard.
I made a mistake tagging the release so WordPress would recognize it which is why the version number jumped from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4.