Since I started the wp-SwimTeam WordPress plugin four years ago, a complete “how-to” guide has been on my list yet it always seems to fall below the cut line due to new features that our team needs or that I want to add. Anything our team needs is always at the top of my list! I have set up a Wiki but have yet to sit down and add content to it. Until I do, here is a two minute overview of what you need to do in order to use the wp-SwimTeam plugin.
- Download and install phpHtmlLib. The wp-SwimTeam plugin requires this plugin so this is where you start. Once downloaded and activated you won’t see anything new in your WordPress installation but this plugin provides the infrastructure wp-SwimTeam uses for forms and displaying much of its information.
- Download and install wp-SwimTeam. Make sure phpHtmlLib is activated prior to activating wp-SwimTeam or you will get an error and wp-SwimTeam will not activate.
- Set up wp-SwimTeam: There are a series of taps on the SwimTeam->Options menu. Move through them from left to right using information relevant to your swim team.
- Once all of your options are configured, switch to the Swim Team Management menu.
- Set up your Age Groups.
- Set up your Swim Season. Make sure you activate once it is set up. To activate it, use the “Update” action.
- Set up the Swim Clubs you will compete against.
- Set up Event Groups and Events.
- Set up the Swim Meets on your schedule.
- Add or Import events for each swim meet.
- Set up some sample jobs if you plan to use the Volunteer module.
- Allocate jobs to the Season or Swim Meet as appropriate.
These are the basic steps that will need to completed in one form or fashion in order to make the plugin usable. Many of them can be incomplete (e.g. you don’t need all of your swim meets entered) to determine if wp-SwimTeam will meet the needs of your team.
Play with the Reports, Job Sign Up process, and the Opt-In/Opt-Out (aka Register/Scratch) process to get an idea of how the system works. Export your roster to Excel or SDIF to get an idea of what data you have available to you.
Post questions and I’ll do my best to answer them!